Why do you need to create an e-mail list?
If you are planning to sell anything online, your e-mail list is gonna be your number one asset. Your email list is the list of people who have raised their hands and expressed an interest in what you’re offering. These are the people that you can promote your own products to or other people’s products to. Your email list is key to the making long-term sustainable profits in your online business.
So it’s never too early to start building your e-mail list from scratch and this is the first thing I have my members do when they join the Online Profits University. It is such an important asset for your online business.
How do you get started growing your list?
Step #1: Get yourself signed-up with some type of list management software
This is the software that will automate people joining your list and enable you to send e-mails to them. So if you check out something like MailChimp, you can actually get that service for free for the first 2,000 subscribers. Not bad!
Step #2: Give people a reason to join your list
Once you’ve got signed up with your e-mail list service provider, the next thing you’re gonna need to do is give people a reason to join your list. You know, it’s not enough to say to people, “Can I send you e-mails?”
You’re gonna need to give them a reason to raise their hands and join your list. And the best way to do that is with something that I call a “Lead Magnet”. A lead magnet is a piece of content, available online, that solves a specific problem. Your lead magnet answers a specific question, gives people a taste of the value that you offer, and is actually a really juicy reason for them to sign up to join your e-mail list.
Step #3: Create opportunities to invite people to join your list
Now, message number three is Bernadette’s motto, especially when you’re starting from scratch, is, “Do what you can with what you’ve got from where you are.” There are likely many possibilities that you already have to create opportunities to invite people to join your e-mail list.
Let’s start with doing an audit of your online presence …
- Google Yourself. Have you ever “Googled” yourself? I know it sounds kinky, but Google yourself and look at the pages that come up and ask yourself, “On each of these pages, am I inviting people to the next step? Am I giving people an opportunity to join my list? Do I have some type of lead capture?”
- Look at the online presence that you already have, and make the necessary improvements. Such as adding Lead Magnet popups so that you can invite people to join your list.
- Add to your e-mail signature an invitation for people to come get your Lead Magnet and join your list. That’s something where you can set it and forget it. After you do the work once (make the change to your email signature), you don’t need to worry about it any longer – every e-mail you send, you’re inviting people to join your e-mail list.
Now, let’s go offline and see what more you can do to build your list.
- So first of all, friends and family. Ask them to help. Ask them would they be willing to help you spread the word that you created this new Lead Magnet. Tell them that you’re getting going into an online business and that you want to grow your list. Ask if they would they be willing to help? Would they be willing to spread the word and invite people to join?
- And then finally, are you currently involved with any kind of offline business? Do you have any type of physical marketing, like brochures or business cards, where you could add a ‘call to action’ – an invitation for people to come to your webpage, download your Lead “Magnet, and join your list?
So there you have it. Even if you’re starting from scratch, we’ve just covered four or five things that you can do right now to start growing your e-mail list. As you put these into action, you’re gonna see a snowball effect and you’re really gonna get going creating your most important online asset, which is your e-mail list.
If you like this and you want to know more, I did a whole series on Facebook, I call them my Facebook 5Lives, where I went in-depth into teaching how to create and build an online list, and it’s absolutely free. We’ve got comprehensive course notes. I promise, you’re gonna love it, so make sure you come on over and come watch that right now.